Mount Bromo which stands tall at 2329 m is the most iconic and the most hiked mountain in Indonesia. This is one of the top things to do in Java and rightly so. The mountain beckons majestically despite having the entire top blown off and with a crater inside that keeps spewing off-white sulphurous smoke.
Mount Bromo is still one of the most active volcanoes in the world and there are areas that are blocked off from tourists due to its imminent danger. It sits inside the massive Tengger caldera (volcanic crater with a diameter approximately 10km), surrounded by the Laut Pasir (sea of sand) of fine volcanic sand.
After an easy hike, travelers are awarded a breathtaking and ethereal landscape during the sunrise.
There are a couple of different ways to access Mount Bromo. But one of the best ways to is to fly into Surabaya, which is the capital city of East Java. Surabaya is home to Juanda International Airport, which facilitates regular flights from key cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur. You can easily book a flight to Surabaya and arrange transport to the Mount Bromo region.
One highly convenient and hassle-free, albeit expensive way to get to the volcano from Surabaya is to book an organized tour with a travel agent at Juanda Airport. The tour will include transport to and from Mount Bromo, with the drive taking around 2 to 3 hours. Most tourists leave from the city at around midnight to reach the site in time for sunrise. You can check one of the best travel agent who arrange Bromo Tour here www.goadventureid.com
However, if you are looking for a cheaper way to reach Mount Bromo, you also have other options. Here are the steps:
- From Surabaya
- Option 1 (Take private taxi)
Inside the terminal you will find many taxi provider, they will ask you for taxi. Then you just need to hireto them to take you to Mount Bromo. Costs about $65 USD, will drive about 3,5 hours.
- Option 2 (Public Transport)
– Get on the Damri shuttle bus or a taxi from the Juanda International Airport to the Bungurasih (Purabaya) bus terminal in Surabaya.
– From the bus terminal get on the express Patas bus that goes to Probolinggo. You have the option to choose an air conditioned bus or the cheaper one that has only fans. The journey will take approximately 2-3 hours.
– When you reach Probolinggo, you can take green mini-buses to Cemoro Lawang, which is a small town just beside Mount Bromo. The mini-buses are usually park just outside the terminal. The bus leaves when it’s full. If there are not enough passengers, which usually happens after 4 pm; you may have to wait for a couple of hours before leaving, unless you are of course willing to pay the full amount of IDR 250,000.
- From Malang
- Option 1 (Rent Private Jeep)
From your hotel in Malang you can book 4WD Jeep for Bromo Sunrise tour, normally the tour from Malang will start from 1.30 am. The price for 1 Jeep (Max 5 Person) about $90 USD, approximately will take about 2-3 hours from Malang to Mt. Bromo Area.
- Option 2 (Join Open Trip Bromo from Malang)
If you want make it easier, you can join Open Trip Bromo from Malang. Its only Rp. 650.000, already include entrance ticket and transport. This tour normally start from Malang at 1 am and will finish in Malang around 1 pm. If you interested to join this trip you can contact +628113781007, his name if Fiqi and he’s provide Open trip Bromo from Malang.